How to Transfer Your Domain in 7 Simple Steps
Moving your website and domain to a new hosting provider? Transferring your domain isn’t as tricky as you might expect. In just 7 simple steps, you can easily move your domain to a new registrar.
How to Transfer
- Check Your Domain Eligibility: Before you begin the transfer process, ensure that your domain is eligible for transfer. Some domain extensions (like .gov and .edu) have specific requirements for transfer.
- Unlock Your Domain: Log into your current domain registrar account and unlock your domain. This is a crucial step and allows for the transfer process to begin.
- Obtain Your Transfer Authorization Code: You will need to obtain a domain transfer authorization code (also known as an EPP code) from your current domain registrar. This code is needed to initiate the transfer process to your new registrar.
- Initiate the Transfer: Log into your new registrar account and initiate the domain transfer process. Simply enter your domain transfer authorization code and follow the step-by-step prompts to complete the process.
- Verify Contact Information: During the transfer process, you will need to verify your contact information, including your email and physical address. Be sure that this information is accurate and up to date.
- Wait for Confirmation: After you have initiated the transfer, you will need to wait for confirmation from both your old and new registrars/hosting providers. This process can typically take up to a few days.
- Verify the Transfer: Once the transfer is complete, verify that your domain is correctly pointing to your new hosting provider. Please note that this can take up to 48 hours to take effect.
Still unsure about transferring your domain? Chat with one of our experts today and we can walk you through the process!